New Covenant Christian Academy will be both a discipleship and an evangelical school. Christian students enrolling from Christian homes will be asked to identify their local congregations where they are active and submit recommendation from their pastor. Those students and their families who do not come to New Covenant as existing Christians will be expected to be open to the Christian faith. All students, regardless of their backgrounds, will be learning and growing side by side and will be participating in weekly Chapel. Prayer and Scripture will be incorporated throughout each school day and in each class. The Christian values and behavioral expectations detailed in the Student Handbook will be adhered to by all students.
The educational philosophy of the New Covenant Christian Academy seeks to bring a balance between academics and faith; the knowledge that is learned in the mind and the God given passions which are found in the heart.
1. Christian values, prayer and Biblical teachings are woven into each and every subject in each and every class period, helping students develop a comprehensive Biblical worldview as it applies to literature, history, mathematics, science, etc. All students will participate in weekly chapel.
2. Each student is embraced as a unique creation of God, coming to New Covenant at his or her own starting point academically, socially and spiritually. As a result, personal attention will be given to each student "where they are at" and a plan developed and implemented to help each student attain the height of their potential. With smaller class sizes and attentive educators, we believe that academic excellence can be achieved not just by some, but by all, thus giving all graduates of New Covenant numerous options regarding higher education and career opportunities.
3. Above any other factor, including facilities and materials, the most important component of a great school and education is the staff. All educators, administrators and support staff at New Covenant will be passionate about the students and their families and passionate about their relationship with Jesus, demonstrated in their lives and character both within and outside of the school. Full time teachers will have a minimum of a bachelor's degree and will be fully certified in the state of Michigan.
4. Curriculum will be carefully selected which will challenge each student to the highest academic standard. All curriculum must be consistent with Christian values and the rich heritage of our nation and culture. Literature promoting inappropriate behaviors, lifestyles and language will be rejected, as well as materials which present a "revisionist" approach to history. Science curriculum and teaching will be consistent with what the Scriptures reveal regarding God's created order and is also, furthermore, proven again and again in both the natural sciences and in the field of biology. In both curriculum selection and teaching style, New Covenant will utilize the "classical" method of education.
5. Fine arts and physical education are important to the development of the whole person and will be offered to the best of our ability. Specific classes in the Bible and Christianity will also be offered. Being creative with the gifts and talents of existing staff and volunteers in these areas may often be utilized when it is not practical or possible to have persons on board in such specific fields.
6. While students will be learning certain "absolute truths" found in God's created order and will also be held to many academic absolutes (i.e. 1+1 always equals 2), students will learn how to think independently within those absolutes, knowing who they are, what they believe and how to defend their beliefs. Classes will thus be a combination of teacher lectures, hands on application, class discussion and, at times, debate, especially in the older grades.
7. Students grow and learn most effectively in a safe and nurturing environment. Areas of a young person's life which can be hurtful and detrimental, including bullying, use of personal electronics and social media during the school day, etc. will not be tolerated. Behavioral standards will be set high for the sake of all students and staff.
8. Understanding that children and teens are not perfect, (nor is anyone of any age), discipline will always be tempered, case by case, by God's grace and redemptive nature. Every effort will be made to work with students and their families where behavioral issues emerge, yet the safety and well-being of other students and staff will always be paramount and their protection ensured. As a result, a non-compliant student may need to be removed from enrollment at New Covenant for the safety and security of others.
9. While the unique nature of each student is to be both affirmed and cherished, certain stigmas which become obstacles to growth will be eliminated. For example, as students are often highly sensitive to their clothes and appearance in relation to the clothes and appearance of others, uniforms will be worn at New Covenant, except on occasional designated "special" days. Ultimately, this policy allows the uniqueness and creativity of each student to be demonstrated in other ways beyond clothing.
10. Opportunities for growth beyond academia will be a key part of participation at New Covenant Christian Academy, including opportunities to serve in the community beyond the walls of the school, helping to create thoughtful, caring and well-rounded young leaders. Older students will have opportunity to participate in mission trips and "cross-cultural" experiences beyond the local community.
11. In the midst of receiving an excellent academic education at New Covenant, it is equally as important that each graduate know who he or she is in Christ Jesus and have a strong sense of purpose and an appropriate awareness at that stage in life regarding God's specific plans beyond high school. Helping each student get to that ultimate place of awareness will be an ongoing process throughout his or her years as a student at New Covenant.
12. Finally, a core belief in our educational philosophy is that the education of a child is ultimately the responsibility of that child's parent(s). New Covenant Christian Academy can help greatly supplement but never replace the academic, social, moral and spiritual education which is, by God's design, to be found in the home. As a result, parents will be invited and encouraged to be deeply involved and ingrained in the life of the New Covenant Christian Academy. Furthermore, there will be regularly scheduled opportunities for parents to join together and consider different facets of Christian parenting connected to their student's education at New Covenant they will be expected to attend.
Kindergarten through 9th grade Classical Christian Faith-Based Education